To customize the menu and navigation on your Shopify store, follow these steps:
- Access the Navigation Settings: Log in to your Shopify dashboard and click on “Online Store” in the left-hand sidebar. From the dropdown menu, select “Navigation.”
- Edit Existing Navigation: On the Navigation page, you’ll find the default navigation menus, usually named “Main menu” or “Footer menu.” Click on the menu you want to customize.
- Add Menu Items: To add a new menu item, click on the “Add menu item” button. Enter the name of the menu item in the “Name” field. You can add a link to a specific page on your store, an external URL, or a collection of products.
- To link to a specific page on your store, select “Page” from the “Link” dropdown menu, and choose the desired page from the list.
- To link to an external URL, select “Web address” from the “Link” dropdown menu, and enter the URL in the “Link” field.
- To link to a collection of products, select “Collection” from the “Link” dropdown menu, and choose the desired collection from the list.
- Create Drop-Down Menus (Optional): To create a drop-down menu with subcategories, drag a menu item to the right under another menu item. It will become a subcategory of the parent item. You can nest menu items to create multi-level drop-down menus.
- Rearrange Menu Items: To change the order of menu items, click and drag them to the desired position within the menu. Rearrange them vertically to change their order in the drop-down menu if applicable.
- Create Menu Separators (Optional): To add visual dividers between menu items, click on the “Add menu item” button. Enter a dash “-” in the “Name” field, and select “Link” > “Web address.” In the “Link” field, enter “#” or any valid URL. This will create a separator in the menu.
- Edit or Delete Menu Items: To edit an existing menu item, click on the item and modify the details in the editing panel on the right-hand side. To delete a menu item, click on the trash bin icon next to it.
- Create Additional Menus (Optional): If you want to add multiple menus, click on the “Add menu” button at the top right corner of the Navigation page. Give the menu a name and configure its items as described above.
- Assign Menus to Locations: To assign menus to specific areas of your store, click on the “Manage” button next to the menu you want to assign. Choose a location for the menu, such as “Main menu” or “Footer menu.” You can assign menus to different locations based on your theme’s options.
- Save Changes: After customizing your menus, click on the “Save menu” or “Save menus” button to save your changes.
- Preview and Test: Preview your store to see how the menu appears to customers. Test the navigation by clicking on the menu items and verifying that they link to the correct pages or URLs.
- Modify Menu Design (Optional): If you want to further customize the design of your menu, you may need to modify your theme’s code or use a Shopify app that offers advanced menu customization features. Consult your theme’s documentation or explore available apps for additional options.
Remember to regularly review and update your menus as your store’s content and structure evolve. Consider organizing your menus in a way that is intuitive and user-friendly, making it easy for customers to navigate and find what they’re looking for on your Shopify store.